“I do believe it is time for another adventure.” Unknown
Hi Amazing Peeps,
Our stay in Jervis Bay has been beautiful and horrible.
We arrived on Wednesday evening into a strong westerly and choppy seas. Once we got into Vincentia, it was calm and gorgeous.
Thursday and Friday were beautiful as well. On Thursday we went for a long walk along the beach towards Huskisson with Yaraandoo II. The water was clear, the sun shining and the walk was great.
Friday we got in the dingy and went to the other side of the beach for a picnic lunch. It was Azanyah’s birthday and there was a great barbecue area and playground for the kids to play in. The wind was cold but the sun was beautifully warm and Yaraandoo II made it another day to remember.
Friday evening, the swell started to increase slightly.
I have noticed that in a new location, I am very wary of our position to things, even in calm weather. Thursday night I was up about 4 times checking our position in relation to the moored vessel behind us. We have an anchor alarm – two in fact but I was still paranoid. I then dreamt we dragged into it. There was no going back to sleep after that.
Friday night, when the swell increased, my worry got higher. I didn’t sleep well then either. The holding was amazing and we didn’t move an inch but my brain didn’t seem to realize this.
Early Saturday morning, the swell became very uncomfortable. By 9am there were people surfing on the crashing waves – seriously, really surfing.
Steve had pulled apart one of the heat exchanges Friday night as we were loosing coolant – actually we had lost all of it. He had made a new seal out of epoxy and let that sit overnight with the expectation of going ashore Saturday morning to get more coolant. With the swell as high as it was, there was no going ashore at all.
Yaraandoo kindly gave us some coolant and were set to move to Hole In The Wall. Steve made a quick extra copper seal but we needed to wait an hour to let it cure even a little bit.
By this stage, I was very uncomfortable. I watched the swell rise even more and the waves break just past us. I also knew the tide was going out and my fear that the waves would start to break even earlier.
Yaraandoo kindly decided to wait for us. This was amazing as now we were getting a NW wind which put us both beam on to the swell. It was not a comfortable ride for anyone but still they chose to stay.
They offered to tow us over if we couldn’t get moving. Unable to fathom that sense of defeat and humiliation, Steve put the exchanger back together, filled her up and started her. Thankfully no coolant came pouring out. So we raised anchor and took off.
Having radioed Yaraandoo, they too set off. We let them take the lead and followed along.
I have never sailed along with another boat before and seeing them rise over the huge waves and then having their stern disappear behind it, felt very intimidating. We just do it, I didn’t realize it looked that aggressive.
The swell we were going over was about 2.5m high – Yaraandoo please correct me if I’m wrong. We hadn’t yet powered into waves that high (Steve had but not us as a family aboard).
Once we had got past the reef in the middle, we made a beeline for Hole In The Wall. The swell eased but it was still choppy.
Yaraandoo picked up their mooring as we were coming in. The kids noticed that the mooring rope broke almost immediately and screamed over to let them know. Yaraandoo II, like the well oiled machine that they are, had it retied and one of their own on in no time.
I picked up our mooring without any trouble and we were both secure.
It was bouncy as the NW wind had set in. Thankfully we were out of the huge swell.
Apparently these are the worst conditions for Jervis Bay with a SW swell that rolls in and a NW wind. There is nowhere to hide so bounce on our public mooring we did. Boy did we bounce.
Yaraandoo were leaving early the next morning taking advantage of the Northerly. Steve and I popped over to say our farewell while the kids fished back on Sumbawa. After a quick goodbye we were back onboard.
By 2am, Yaraandoo were gone and we couldn’t sleep because of the bounce – it was relentless. Having seen Yaraandoo’s mooring rope break, it made my paranoia worse. I was constantly fearing we were heading for the beach behind us. I lost count how many times I woke to the thought that our rope had broken. It wasn’t a very restful night.
Our mooring rope was fine. It held us like a trooper.
I didn’t realize that I could get seasick during the night on a mooring either. It turns out I can.
I was wide awake by 6am, looking at the weather and when it was meant to settle. We wanted to depart soon and were looking for a good window to get up to Cronulla. I spent about an hour analysing the weather in about 4 locals up the coast – the wind, the swell and the temperature. Temperature isn’t really necessary but I wanted to know if we were going to get rained on and how warm the days would be.
We had a very slow morning with coffee and breaky in bed made by Tash who constantly teased me about what she was going to put in it. I’m sure she nearly wet herself, she was laughing so hard.
The kids played with Lego while their porridge cooked. The younger ones fought over old paintbrushes that they have made their dinghies. It seems everything becomes either a dingy or an outboard.
Today is our lazy day as we prepare to set sail tomorrow. Looking forward to moving again
The wind as turned more WNW which has eased the bounce. Hopefully it stays.
Time to figure how to get the dingy onboard in this wind.
Cheers all you wonderful people.
(This is a name that Mike from Yaraandoo II made for the Sumbawa crew using the letters of our first names. Our new catch phrase.)
Beccie is a Best Selling Author, a World Travelling Sailor, an Awesome Wife and the Best Mum to the 10 most Amazing Children on the Planet, a Millionaire, a Polyglot and an Oracle